Partner in the Real Estate Department with particular emphasis on commercial property (including acquisitions and disposals, landlord and tenant, property joint ventures and site assembly) and energy related matters (including wind farms, solar photovoltaic electricity generation facilities and development of anaerobic digestion projects.
James also has extensive expertise in liquor licensing matters including the acquisition and disposal of pubs, off sales, hotels and restaurants, applying for new licences, objecting to third party licence applications, acquisition and disposal of liquor licences and renewal of licences.
- Lead partner in major client’s refinancing and restructuring of its entire property portfolio consisting of multi-tenanted, office, leisure and warehouse properties and residential assets (both developed and undeveloped).
- Acted for major client in the disposal of 2 major retail parks in Belfast.
- Lead real estate advisor for a potential bidder in its proposed acquisition of Bord Gais’s shareholding in Firmus Energy.
- Acted for the vendor in the sale of a Belfast city centre hotel investment.
- Acted for the purchaser of a multi-tenanted Belfast city centre office investment.
- Lead real estate advisor in NI property related aspects of ESB’s acquisition of the issued shareholding in Northern Ireland Electricity.
- Advising major UK clearing bank on NI property law related matters in connection with a bank’s financing of an operational 30Mw capacity wind farm.
- Lead property advisor in the acquisition of an established trading hotel business and property.
- Lead property advisor in the acquisition by an American fund of a UK clearing bank’s loan book in respect of the Titanic Quarter development in Belfast.
- Lead NI real estate advisor in connection with the funding of a party’s bid to acquire existing residential care home businesses with assets throughout the UK.