Andrew is head of our Healthcare Department at Tughans. He receives instructions from Medical Defence Organisations, Insurers and directly from Clinicians. His work includes defending clinical negligence claims and defending Doctors, Dentists and other Healthcare Professionals before their Regulators.
Andrew qualified in 1990 and thereafter worked in England with Bevan Ashford and Le Brasseurs (as they then were) before returning to Northern Ireland in 1996. He joined Tughans in 2003.
Andrew holds Practising Certificates for both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. He is a member of the Medico-Legal Society of Northern Ireland and the Association of Disciplinary and Regulatory Lawyers. He has given numerous lectures on medico-legal issues.
Andrew is described as a “first-class solicitor” with “very strong skills in terms of analytical ability, identification of issues, and excellent technical judgement and strong client skills.” Chambers UK 2018
“very sharp, clever practitioner” who “has a great deal of knowledge in this type of work.”
Chambers UK 2018
“absolutely top-drawer.” He inspires confidence in his clients, with one stating: “You get the impression that he’s working for the best interests of his clients all the time.” Chambers UK 2016
- Defending numerous medical professionals before various Committees and Panels at the General Medical Council and MPTS.
- Defending Dentists in proceedings before the General Dental Council.
- Defending medical professionals in proceedings before the Medical Council (of Ireland).
- Defending claims against medical professionals, many of which include claims relating to injuries of the utmost severity and of high value.
- Defending Dentists in relation to claims against them, including in particular cosmetic dentistry cases.
- Appearing on behalf of Clinicians at Inquests.
- Defending Clinicians in relation to allegations of criminal conduct in the course of their clinical practice.
- Defending Clinicians in relation to allegations brought by employers and Health Boards.