Andrew is a Partner in the Tughans’ commercial team and works with clients across a full range of commercial and regulatory matters, with a particular focus on energy and technology law, and is qualified as a solicitor in NI, ROI and England & Wales.
He regularly advises clients on general commercial contracts such as supply or purchase, agency or distribution agreements, technology contracts such as software licence agreements, and energy contracts such as power purchase and grid connection agreements. His other practice areas include data protection (in a post GDPR landscape).
Andrew has experience working directly in the energy industry and has twice been seconded to SONI Ltd, the high voltage transmission system operator for Northern Ireland, as the sole in-house counsel. He has also previously been seconded to Lagan Construction.
Andrew is a member of Mutual Energy and sits on the NI branch board of the Energy Institute (serving as Secretary and Chair of the YPN group) and the CBI large energy users’ forum.
He is also involved in a number of business mentoring programmes across Northern Ireland
- Assisting Randox Healthcare successfully negotiate and conclude a five-year sponsorship agreement in respect of the Grand National, the most valuable jump race in Europe, alongside a package of associated rights.
- Working with SONI Ltd to secure a year long system support services contract with AES Kilroot Power Limited, keeping the plant at Kilroot available to the electricity system in Northern Ireland for a further year.
- Working with the Chinese state owned utility company, CGN, to help it secure a portfolio of wind farms from Gaelectric Energy, in CGN’s first foray into the Irish utilities market.
- Assisting Fusion Antibodies PLC in the extensive intellectual property and commercial contract due diligence and preparation required prior to the company’s listing on AIM, the third Northern Irish company to list on a publicly traded stock exchange at the time.
- Working with leading NI tech company B-Secur Limited on the full spectrum of its contract, technology and IP contracts, including assisting the company secure its IP portfolio for the benefit of a series of investment raises and expansion into China.