John has extensive experience in the Corporate legal sector, particularly in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, private equity/venture capital investments and general company law, shareholder and governance matters. He regularly acts for both purchasers and vendors of companies, investors (institutional and private) and investee companies. John also advises inward investors into Northern Ireland on the legal issues around set up, engagement with stakeholders (including Invest Northern Ireland) and operators.
Clients note his “technical and commercial approach” as a core strength. Chambers UK 2020
“Efficient, commercial and practical approach to the task at hand.” Chambers UK 2019
“He talks like a businessman rather than a lawyer and he has great insight.” Chambers UK 2018
“Extremely clear on what the issues are” and “superb in private equity transactions.” Chambers UK 2017
John was awarded the Insider Dealmaker of the Year at the Northern Ireland Insider Dealmaker Awards 2020 and is a former winner of the Young Dealmaker of the Year award.
John has advised:
• BGF on its investments into Bob & Berts, Uform and Decora.
• MML Growth Capital on its investments into Lowe Refrigeration and Ashdale Care.
• Foresight on its investment into 352 Medical Group.
• Fusion Antibodies plc on numerous funding rounds and on its subsequent admission to AIM.
• The management of Elite Electronics in respect of the investment by Lonsdale Capital.
• The management of Totalmobile in respect of the investment by Lyceum Capital.
• The Cordovan Capital Syndicate in respect of its first investment from its fund into TruCorp Limited and subsequent investments into numerous companies.
• Numerous companies including SaltVPN Limited, AuditComply Limited, Plotbox and B-Secur on their venture capital investment rounds.
John has advised:
• The shareholders of Tascomi Ltd on its sale to Idox plc.
• Staffline Group plc in respect of numerous acquisitions in Ireland including of Grafton Recruitment.
• The shareholders of SSAS Solutions on its sale to Mattioli Woods plc.
• The shareholders of Delta Print and Packaging on its sale to Huhtamaki, the Finnish list packaging company.
• Dale Farm on a number of company acquisitions including Ash Manor Cheese Company, Mullins Ice Cream and others.
• Astec Industries, Inc on its acquisition of Telestack Limited.
• A number of different parties on sales/acquisitions of pharmacies, opticians, dentist practices and other service providers.
• Invest Northern Ireland on a wide range of legal matters including letters of offer and other contractual matters.
• Advising Aflac Inc, Cygilant, HighRoads and several other FDI companies on set up and ongoing work in Northern Ireland.