Maria specialises in planning and environmental law, public law and energy and regulatory matters. Maria is experienced in advising throughout the planning application and EIA process and representation at appeals or inquiries. She also advises on applications for all the necessary environmental and regulatory consents, particularly in the waste and energy sectors.
Maria regularly advises public bodies on their evolving powers and duties, providing advice which enables public bodies to protect the public interest and their officers by ensuring decisions are based on sound principles. Where necessary, she effectively defends challenges.
Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession states: “She has a wealth of expertise across energy and retail matters, and is “very good at communicating to us where the case is and what we need to do,” say interviewees. Sources highlight her skill in complex judicial reviews and praise her “great professionalism, and her variety of important skill sets in different disciplines.”
“Very diligent and focused. She gives clear, strong advice to clients.” Chambers UK 2019
Maria has “exceptional technical knowledge” and is “very commercially astute.” Chambers UK 2017
- Advising the Gaelic Athletic Association in respect of its planning application for Casement Park including advising on GIP issues.
- Advising Translink in respect of the proposed integrated rail and bus transport hub at Great Victoria Street.
- Advising Apple in respect of it's €850m data centre development at Athenry Co. Galway. including representing Apple before An Bord Pleanála.
- Advising Invest N.I. across a range of areas including planning and environmental review prior to the grant of funding.
- Advising Randox on the planning and environmental aspects of the redevelopment of massereene Barracks site, Co. Antrim.
- Advising N.I. water in respect of the planning, environmental, and energy aspects of a range of transactions including investment in a major renewable project.
- Representing Car Park Services in respect of it's student housing application and as a notice party to Judicial Review Proceedings.
- Representing a food business operator in respect of a prosecution under the Food Safety Order in relation to alleged hygiene breaches.
- Advising various food businesses on upcoming changes to legislation impacting on food packaging and labelling.
- Consumer Credit and solar installations – a salutary tale
- Environmental Nuisance: Liability of Landowners for the actions of Licensees
- Principles for Government departments conducting consultations
- Belfast Metropolitan Area Plan (BMAP) issue needs to be resolved.
- Waste not, want not – Changes to Food Waste
- BMAP Appeal court ruling: back to the drawing board
- Informing Local Development Plans
- Judicial Review: Belfast City Council v Planning Appeals Commission 23 February 2018