Alistair is a partner in the Healthcare Department at Tughans. His caseload comprises mainly high value clinical negligence claims and complaints to the main healthcare regulators.
Alistair qualified in 2003 and thereafter worked for another firm in Belfast before joining Tughans as an associate in 2004. Alistair became a partner in the Healthcare department in 2012.
Alistair also frequently gives lectures on healthcare claims and regulatory law.
“Personable, co-operative and held in high regard in what is a very challenging and demanding area of law.” Chambers UK 2019
“His judgement is very good and he handles cases really well.” Chambers UK 2019
Alistair is described as “good on detail and strong on analysis.” Commentators also note that “he is brilliant at client handling, his letters to the other side are very good and he is fantastic at settling cases.” Chambers UK 2018
“I was tremendously impressed by the kindness, empathy and understanding shown by him.” Chambers UK 2018
A “personable and knowledgeable” practitioner. Chambers UK 2017
- Defending clinicians in high value clinical negligence claims, including successfully defending the longest clinical negligence trial ever heard in Northern Ireland.
- Defending healthcare professionals in fitness to practise cases before the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service/GMC, General Dental Council and Pharmaceutical Society of Northern Ireland.
- Investigating and appearing as an advocate on behalf of the Northern Ireland Social Care Council in cases alleging misconduct against Social Workers and Care workers.
- Appearing as an advocate on behalf of Clinicians at Inquests.
- Advising and successfully defending clinicians accused of healthcare related criminal allegations such as fraud, indecent/sexual assault, and medical manslaughter.
- Advising public bodies in Northern Ireland on Healthcare Regulatory enforcement procedures.
- Representing several clinicians in the high profile Hyponatraemia Inquiry.